Sunday, April 19, 2009

UFC 97: Redemption - Quick Review

So UFC 97 is in the books. I'm not going to do a play by play as you can read that anywhere. This is just a quick blurb and my humble ( or not so humble since I feel the need to put it up for the world to see lol) opinion.

All in all not bad. It was far from the greatest and I think I did expect a little more but some pretty good fights.
The Stout vs. Wiman fight was a great all out lightweight brawl. Good back and forth action, The lightweights really are fun to watch. There is almost always non stop action with these guys.

Cane vs. Cantwell Ehhh, ok fight but I actually started to dose off a little. not out cold but doing the nod. Some good striking but just didn't get me going.

Cheik Kongo Started out a bit slow but by the second round started pounding the crap out of Hardonk. Funny, no interview for Kongo this time. Slow start but good fight.

Soszynski put on a good show as he tapped Stan with a kamura He pretty much owned the short fight.

Liddell vs. Rua was hard to watch. I really thought Liddell was ready to come back strong but he just looked off from the opening bell. After the fight he even said he just didn't feel right. Rua on the other hand finally looked like he fighter he is supposed to be. Very tight strikes and just on the money. Hate to see Chuck go out this way and maybe he will be back but I don't know if he has anything left, only time will tell.

The main event was probably the biggest reason people will criticize this event. It started off very slow and never really picked up Silva dominated all 5 rounds to win the decision but nothing really exciting. I probably didn't hate the fight as much as a lot of people will but I still saw Silva trying to put on a show. Leites was OK in the beginning but really got lame at the end with the laying down crap. I get that you want Silva to go to the ground but he was not going to do it and falling down every 20 seconds after a while is just a bitch move. Once or twice here and there OK but that was just pitiful in the end. Silva busted out some new tricks so all was not lost.

So bottom line, OK, nothing to go crazy for but hey not a bad night of fights.

I personally can't wait for Serra vs. Hughes. I am a really big fan of Serra, especially after watching him both as a competitor and a coach on the Ultimate Fighter. The guy not only busted his ass but helped everyone else however and whenever he could. Hughes as a coach, some say hard nosed but just in a cocky, dicky way. You want to be an evil bastard when training people but you can do it without being a dick. again just my opinion


UFC DVDs 300x250

No comments: